Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal cramps are some of the common symptoms of food poisoning. In some cases, it can lead to death. The primary cause of food poisoning is the presence of bacteria that can be in the food you eat. To prevent unnecessary signs and symptoms from happening, it is good to be knowledgeable about these bacteria. Below is a list.
1. Salmonella enteritidis
Salmonella is one of the common causes of food poisoning. It can grow in food, but is usually found in the intestinal tracts of animals. Salmonella is often transmitted through contaminated animal feces and is found in some poultry, meat and eggs. When these foods are undercooked, it can lead to salmonella infection. Needless to say, food with salmonella can cause illness. It is therefore important to properly clean and prepare your food before eating them. If the food with salmonella is stored in a hot and humid room, the number of bacteria will multiply. People infected with salmonella may experience diarrhea, stomach cramps and fever. About 12 to 72 hours after eating contaminated food or drink, you may suffer from such symptoms. They may last between 4 and 7 days.
Another important thing you need to know is that if you are infected with this bacteria, be careful not to come into direct contact with the people around you. For instance, if you do not wash your hands thoroughly after going to the toilet, your hands have bacteria and this may infect your loved ones and other people you mingle with.
2. Clostridium Perfringens
Many foods have clostridium perfringens, but in low numbers. It is usually present in meat and poultry as well as their products. This spore-forming bacteria can thrive in moist foods or those that are stored at room temperature. Home-canned foods that are not properly prepared such as green beans, corn, beets and asparagus have been found to have clostridium perfringens. If a certain food has a little exposure to oxygen, it may result to the production of such bacteria. On the other hand, clostridium is also present in sewage and animal manures, the intestines of animals and humans, and in the soil.
The bad news about Clostridium is that it can be destroyed by ordinary cooking but they multiply once the food is not eaten right away and left for a few hours. The heat-resistant spores they are able to produce allow them to survive. Once consumed, the bacteria will produce toxins in the stomach, leading to different symptoms such as muscle weakness, lethargy, slurred speech, drooping eyelids, dry mouth, difficulty swallowing and double or blurred vision. About 12 to 36 hours after eating a Clostridium-infected food, a person may suffer from such symptoms. In some cases, the bacteria may cause nausea, vomiting and severe abdominal pain.